Monday 2 January 2012

Vegetable Brown Rice and Tuna Steak



I love local fish; fish and salad, fish pasta, fish and creamed yam. I'll take it any way I can get it! Living in Barbados has given me access to all kinds of fish, and over the last year and 8 months I've come up with simple and yummy ways to cook them. This recipe for brown rice is my staple and I alternate between adding and taking out the carrot, using different leafy greens, and even steaming a whole plantain on top towards the end. It's easy, nutritious, and delicious. Tip: the cumin/geera is the ingredient! 

Vegetable Brown Rice



  •           2 ¼ cup water
  •           1 cup brown rice, soaked for 30 mins-1 hour, and rinsed
  •           ½ cup green lentils, rinsed
  •            1 medium carrot, chopped
  •           3-4 bok choy leaves, separate the white pieces from the green leaves
  •           Small piece of white onion, roughly chopped (not pictured)
  •           1tbsp oil (I used avocado but any will do)
  •           1 tsp cumin/geera
  •           ¼ tsp salt


Put ingredients into a medium saucepan except the green bok choy leaf pieces. Turn heat to high and let it  come to a boil.

Turn down the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 20 mins.

Check occasionally for rice sticking to the pot and water evaporation.

20 minutes into cooking gently fold in the bok choy leaves. Cover for about 7 more minutes.

Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.


 

Pan Fried Tuna Steak

 


  •           1 tuna steak (or any fresh, available fish)
  •           1 tsp Bajan green seasoning ( I like Delish or Windmill brands)
  •           Salt
  •           Pepper
  •           Garlic powder
  •           ¼ tsp avocado oil




 Season both sides of fish, rub Bajan green seasoning on each side. Let marinate 10 minutes or cook right away if you are pressed for time.

Put oil in a pan and cook fish on medium heat for 5 minutes per side, or shorter depending on how rare you like your tuna.

Let fish rest a few minutes before eating.  

 Viola!

Ok, for this one I cheated  a bit….I had some fish leftover from our New Year’s eve beach bbq which I froze. But this is a good trick for quick meals; season ahead of time and freeze. When you are ready just defrost and pop it in a pan!

Until next time, eat good!

No comments:

Post a Comment