Saturday 24 November 2012

Cheapside Market Haul

 Photo of Cheapside Market courtesy of BusinessBarbados.Com


This morning I headed over to Cheapside Market as I typically do on a Saturday morning. I came home and spread out all the gorgeous fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices and realized how blessed I am to be able to get so much local food for such an amazing price. Here's what I bought:

  • 1 pound spinach
  • 1 pound cucumbers
  • 1 pound sweet peppers
  • 1 pound carrots
  • 1 pound tomatoes
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 14 bananas
  • 2 plantains
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 pound of limes
  • 10 golden apples
  • 1 papaya (2 pounds)
  • 1 pound of onions
  • 1 pound of pumpkin
  • 1 bunch of thyme
  • Cayenne
  • Nutmeg
  • Coriander
Grand total: $63 Barbados dollars or $31.50 US/Canadian!!! 

All of this food is grown locally with the exception of the onions and the spices. What's even more amazing is that every weekend I get to talk to and interact with the farmers and vendors who pick the produce that feeds a nation. There is nothing better than knowing who is selling you your food and knowing where it comes from. I urge you, where ever you live, to frequent and support local farmers, local food, and local industry. It makes sense/cents!


And of course I couldn't resist taking a picture of my future meals...





No comments:

Post a Comment