My cousin Laila came to visit me about 3 weeks ago and we had an amazing time getting into all kinds of things. From trying out new restaurants (look out for a post featuring one coming soon!), paddle-boarding, reading loads of books, and of course....making food. She's very health conscious and always inspires me to eat better, and before she came I'd gotten into breakfast smoothies. Let's just say that when she got here smoothie making really kicked into high gear. Green smoothies in particular were a favourite! I love how I feel after having one for breakfast, and the benefits of having a totally raw meal to start your day is a no-brainer for good health.
Here are 2 smoothie recipes that I've put on heavy rotation: a Green smoothie and a Pumpkin Pie Spice smoothie that could easily pass for a dessert.
- 3-4 kale leaves, washed (you can leave the stems on or save them for something else like a juice)
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed
- 1.5 cups of very cold water
- 2-3 bananas
- 1/2 cup of oats (optional)
Put everything in the blender, and let it go on high for about 2 minutes.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Smoothie
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (not canned. I suggest boiling then pureeing fresh pumpkin). Or use 1/2 cup grated raw pumpkin
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup cold water (or ice if your bananas aren't frozen)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
Put all the ingredients in the blender, let it go for 2 minutes and serve!